Physical Education (P.E)
Temple Grove Academy recognises and values the importance of Physical Education (P.E). PE at Temple Grove Academy aims to develop a fun, high-quality physical education curriculum that inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sports and other physically demanding activities. We do this through fully adhering to the aims of the national curriculum for physical education to ensure that all children:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives
- PE at Temple Grove Academy provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including; fundamentals of movement, fundamental skills, dance, multi sports, athletics, infant agility, striking and fielding, gymnastics, dodgeball, tennis, hockey, netball, tag rugby, rounders and handball.
- The long term plan sets out the PE units which are to be taught throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met.
- Pupils participate in two high quality PE lessons each week, covering two sporting disciplines every half term. In addition, children are encouraged to participate in the varied range of extracurricular activities with after school clubs available for a range of year groups.
- Children are invited to attend competitive sporting events within the local area. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also mental well-being. These events also develop teamwork and leadership skills and are very much enjoyed by the children.
- Each year a small group of Year 6 children are invited to become Sports Leaders for the school. They develop into sporting role models for the younger children, assisting with lunch-time clubs, our annual Sports day and any other Sporting activities.
- Children participate in “Daily Mile” activities, to help meet the government target of all children being active for at least 60 minutes a day.
We help motivate children to participate in a variety of sports through quality teaching that is engaging and fun. From our lessons, our children learn to take responsibility for their own health and fitness, many of whom also enjoy the success of competitive sports. We equip our children with the necessary skills and a love for sport. They will hopefully grow up to live happy and healthy lives utilising the skills and knowledge acquired through PE.